Greens & Quinoa Pie
Greens and Quinoa Pie
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch chicory (1 to 1 ¼ lb.), cut into bite-sized pieces (bottom 1 ½ inches of hard stems removed)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (¼ cup)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably Greek (1 oz.)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Place quinoa in small saucepan, and toast over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until almost dry. Add 1 cup water, and season with salt, if desired. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and transfer to large bowl.
2. Heat large pot over medium heat. Add chicory, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until wilted, stirring frequently or tossing with tongs. Add romaine, and wilt 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer greens to strainer, and squeeze out excess moisture. Transfer to cutting board, and chop into small pieces. Stir greens into quinoa.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and sauté 10 minutes, or until browned. Add cooked onions, green onions, dill, feta cheese, and goat cheese to quinoa mixture. Stir in eggs; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Pour 1 Tbs. oil into 9-inch pie pan, and place in oven. Heat 5 minutes, or until oil is hot. Swirl oil to coat bottom of pan, then spread quinoa mixture in pan with spatula. Bake 20 minutes. Drizzle pie with remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and bake 20 to 30 minutes more, or until golden brown.
March 2010 p.51