Thanks to David Wolfe
– 2 cups almonds
– 1/12 cups pitted soft dates
– 2 cups raisins
– 4 cups carrot pulp
– 1 tablespoon cinnamon
– 1 ½ tablespoons fresh ground nutmeg
– 1 teaspoon cardamom
– 1 tablespoon lemon zest
– 1 tablespoon orange zest
– pinch sea salt
– ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional) Lemon Frosting (to top the vegan carrot cake recipe)
– 1 ½ cups whole raw cashews
– 1 cup honey
– 1 tablespoon maca
– 1 cup dried coconut
– 1 cup orange juice
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon lemon Zest
– 1 tablespoon vanilla
Making This super food packed Vegan Carrot Cake To make the cake batter:
– Soak the raisins and the dates, in separate bowls each in 1 ½ cup water for 5-10 minutes to soften.
– Drain the soak water and set aside. Using a juicer, juice about 20 carrots in order to acquire the 4 cups of carrot pulp needed and drink the carrot juice ? In the vita-mix grind the almonds into a fine mill.
– Add the dates and one cup of the raisins and grind until you have a smooth paste. In a large bowl, mix with the carrot pulp, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, lemon zest, orange zest, sea salt and walnuts, and the remaining one-cup of raisins.
To make the frosting:
– Soak the cashews in 2 cups fresh water for 30 minutes.
– Drain and rinse. In a food processor or a vita-mix blender, grind the dried coconut into a powder and set aside. Blend the cashews; honey and ½ cup of the date soak water, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla until smooth.
– Add a touch more of the date soak water if necessary to aid in blending.
– Add powdered coconut and blend well. It may be necessary to help the blending along by scraping the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula and continue to blend. Allow to stand in the refrigerator if necessary to thicken.
– Put the Super Food Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe Together To layer the cake: Split the cake batter in half. Line a serving platter with plastic wrap or waxed paper.
– Press half of the dough into an even circle. Slip pressed dough on plastic wrap or waxed paper off the platter. Press the remaining dough directly on the platter into an even circle for the bottom layer spread just less than half of the frosting on the bottom layer leaving a 1-inch border.
– Delicately flip over the layer on the plastic wrap or waxed paper onto the frosted layer. Re-shape any mishaps and smooth the sides.
– Spoon the remaining frosting on top of the cake and spread evenly over the top and sides. If you wish, this cake can be prepared into one layer.
– Press the cake dough into an even circle on a serving platter, and frost evenly. For best results, allow chilling and setting in the fridge for one hour or more. Stencils can be used to create designs.
– Cut starts, hearts, and spirals out of cardboard and lay on the cake before sifting, or sprinkle with ground almonds and cinnamon.
Recipe By : Crystal Bruneau Hacienda Del Sol Retreat Center