For many in the past month, this is the first time you’ve heard of iodine as anything other than part of a first aid kit. When it comes to mainstream medicine, this is certainly not a commonly prescribed or even suggested remedy despite its vital role in the human body. So, you may be surprised to learn that iodine plays a crucial part in hormone regulation… which in turn is responsible for something many of us struggle with daily.
How many of you have tried to lose weight — feel like you have done all the right things — but still have nothing to show for it? I know it sounds hard to believe, but your problem might just be due to a hidden nutritional deficiency. That’s right: Iodine. And in today’s environment it’s nearly impossible for your body to get sufficient amounts let alone hold on to it.
In addition, Dr. Guy Abraham, one of the world’s foremost experts on iodine, discovered that you most likely need to take 100 to 400 times the RDA to keep your body in balance. The fact is that iodine does a lot more than assist in losing weight. More than 90% of us are low in iodine. Dr. David Brownstein, who has written books on the subject, is convinced that whole body iodine insufficiency is the cause of numerous health problems ranging from hypothyroidism to fibromyalgia.
Iodine is more commonly recognized for its role in thyroid function, but it’s responsible for so much more. This simple nutrient is utilized throughout the entire body and assists in normalizing a number of biological functions. It is found in breast tissue, ovaries, testes, parotid glands, and salivary glands.
Water containing halogens such as chlorine, fluoride, and bromine, utilized internally or externally , interferes with iodine molecules and causes your body to excrete the iodine it so desperately needs. Since chlorine exists in most city water supplies, unless you dechlorinate your water, you are exposed to thyroid-lowering gases whenever you bathe, shower, or have a drink of water. For those of you who have a hot tub or whirlpool spa, you most likely use chlorine or bromine, which both affect you in the same way.
It might also interest you to know that many soda drinks contain bromide in the form of brominated vegetable oils. Although, manufacturers say the amount is negligible, some practitioners have observed that drinking sodas with bromide generated low thyroid function in some of their patients.
Here is a brief list of critical functions iodine is responsible for throughout the body:
– Normalizes hormone receptors. These receptors need to have iodine attached to them for optimal function. A shortage of iodine, and your hormones do not work at their peak.
– Regulates the thyroid. Your thyroid gland needs iodine whether it is working normally, underactive, overactive or enlarged.
– Diminishes fibromyalgia in people with low thyroid function. This could be because an overabundance of bromide often displaces iodine. Since iodine removes bromide from the body, the fibromyalgia is improved.
– Breast protection. When bromide gets into breast tissue, it displaces iodine, which is critical for breast health. Some women with fibrocystic breast tissue find their cysts and tenderness disappear after using iodine.
– Supports the adrenal glands and stress. Our adrenal glands require sufficient iodine to function properly and counter life’s many stresses.
– Assists in generating HCI in our stomach. Low hydrochloric acid production is often caused by iodine insufficiency. Without enough HCI, we cannot digest protein, or use calcium, magnesium or iron efficiently.
Haven’t had the opportunity to add this vital nutrient to your diet? Stop by our store and try out our Nascent Iodine! www.magneticclay.com